Happy New Year! Or should I say Happy First Month of the New Year! Like many, I wrote a list of new year’s resolutions for myself. It looks like this:
- Start a blog
- Get a real job
- Eat more fruits and vegetables
- Eat less
- Exercise more
- Lose weight
Honestly, I don’t think that’s too much to ask of myself. So, it has been exactly one month and this is what I have accomplished:
- Start a Blog – Well, yes. I did. Yay for me.
- Get a real job – Um, I’ve sent in my resume to 2 places and tried to teach myself PowerPoint. Does that count?
- Eat more fruits and veggies – If you count wine as a fruit, then resolution partially achieved. If not, then….no.
- Eat less – Actually I’ve stopped grazing like a damn cow all day. Ok, maybe I haven’t stopped exactly. Let’s just say I’ve decreased the grazing a bit. That is less, right?
- Exercise more – I should rephrase that to say “exercise.” I went for a walk on January 30th. Unless I continue to do so, that would be a big fat N-O.
- Lose weight – Since I basically failed at 3, 4 and 5, I guess it’s obvious what the answer is to #6.
About 3 years ago, I stopped making new year’s resolutions. Because this is what inevitably happens. I barely make it past day #1. I guess because my list looks about the same every year and let’s face it, this girl likes her food. And more than 1/2 of my resolutions pretty much involve food or the act of reducing food.
But this year was going to be different. I was so sick of walking by those damn store mirrors and catching a glimpse of myself and being startled because that woman looks like me but couldn’t possibly be. What I really should have as a resolution is to stop looking at myself in store mirrors. Stupid store mirrors. Those suckers ought to make us look like we lost 10 pounds, not gained 10 pounds.
So, instead of tossing the entire list out the window, I am going to start again today. I’ll let you know how I’m doing in a month. Do Bloody Mary’s count as a veggie?