The kid is an irish dancer. For anyone who has a child who partakes in the irish dance world (or any major sport for that matter) you understand that it will cost DH and me enough to send her to Harvard 3 times over by the time she is done (ok, I’m exaggerating just a little, but still…).
I was day dreaming today and thinking of all the things I could do if she decided to just join the debate club at school instead. I felt the need to share to put it all into perspective:
- 1 year of tuition x 14 years = one in-ground pool
- 3 solo dresses = a 2-bedroom apartment in NYC’s Upper West Side for a month
- 3 team dresses = LASIK surgery for my left eye
- Wigs & Crowns = Tiffany necklace
- Soft shoes, hard shoes and poodle socks = 27 inch iMac
- Private lessons (really stupid since we pay an arm and a leg for tuition) = a full body massage
- 7 years going to Regionals = A 2.5 week trip for two to Hawaii
- Going to Worlds once (secretly hoping it stays that way) = LASIK surgery for my right eye
- 14 years of local competitions = One master bathroom renovation
- Dress alterations = full body massage PLUS facial & manicure
- 1 happy kid = Priceless or I have to have my head examined, whichever way you want to look at it
When I signed her up, I had no idea what was coming. Not one person warned me that it would turn into a 4 class a week, competition led sport. Not ONE!
To add insult to injury the kid loves it. She dances around the house all day, all night. Down the hallway, in the shower, during dinner. If you ever run into us at the mall, you probably will catch a performance. Rally one, Rally two. AAAAHHHHH!!!!!!
So, instead of a trip around the world TWICE, I get to sit at competitions all day long. Who can relate in one form or another? Let’s see, 3 years, 4 months and 21 days until our money is ours again. Oh wait. I forgot about college. Never mind.